Monday, May 13, 2013

Moms

Mother's Day has come and gone. 
It's kind of funny when you're a mom, and a teacher, because when the morning of Mother's Day actually arrives, you can't help but wonder how excited your students are to give their moms the special surprise, and you wonder how the moms react to what their child brought home for them.  
I have heard a few positive comments from some moms, so it's nice to hear that they appreciated it and were also very entertained!

I had such fun interviewing all the children last week, asking them questions about their moms and filling in a questionnaire that I made. I asked them questions such as, How old is your mom? What is she really great at cooking? What does she like to do to relax?
I wrote down their answers, trying very hard not to laugh at some of the responses. 


When asked how old his mom was, one boy emphatically replied, "Oh ho ho! I don't know!!! It's such a big number! I don't think I know that number yet!" 
So I replied, "You know lots of numbers already.  Just take some time and think about all the numbers you do know! He decided to start counting out loud, and when he counted up to 13, he stopped and said, "Ya, she's 13. Sure, that's what she is!"
Another student was extremely adamant that her mom was 70.  I said, "Are you sure?" and she said, "Of course! I know how old my mom is!!! So I wrote it down......(I'm pretty sure mom Melissa has a great sense of humour......)
I learned a few other interesting "facts" about some of the JK's moms.  There are some moms that really like to sleep for a long time, there are some seriously great Kraft Dinner cooks out there, and most moms are also very good at cleaning up after everyone! 

We made a few special things for our moms, and put it all into a large envelope decorated with Mother's Day cupcakes. The envelope contained Mother's Day cards, a flower craft, the "All About Mom" questionnaire, and a bookmark.

I know being a mom is not always easy.  Sometimes it's an incredible challenge. 
We have great days, and not so great days, but it is one of the most important and amazing jobs you can ever have.  Moms have such immeasurable influence on their children.  
What a privilege to be able to lead our little ones to God!  
If you're feeling overwhelmed as a mom, just ask Him for help because He promises to give it!
If you are blessed to be a mom, thank the Lord for entrusting you with these precious never-dying souls.
It is an amazing thing to be a mom, and I know that the moms of my JK students are doing a GREAT job!

My Mommy is a gift from God,
Each day her love I know.
Mom shows me what God’s love can do.
Her love helps me to grow!!!
~K. Schenk~











No comments:

Post a Comment