Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A Timely Find

I love coming across unique and fun things that I can incorporate into my classroom instruction.
Last week, while enjoying a lovely "EXPLORE" at Indigo with the family, I came across this adorable wooden clock puzzle by "Melissa and Doug."
I loved the great geometric shapes, and the fact that even my JK's can use this no matter what level they are at in their number sense. 

The best part of this story is.......IT WAS ON SALE!!!
That, plus my book-club discount, made this one very sweet purchase......yes, the dutch in my genes made an appearance...


Classic "Shape Sort Clock"
from Melissa and Doug


Well, that discovery led me to look for some kind of follow-up activity that I could do with the children either in a whole-group situation, or for a math centre.
After searching the internet and not finding what I wanted, I decided to make my own of course!!!


I made three of my own clock activities that give the children opportunity to cut, paste, stamp and colour (some of their favourite activities to do!)

The third activity is a small group activity, a puzzle game.
You put the wooden puzzle pieces in a cloth bag (something they can't see into).
Students take turns reaching in and pulling out a puzzle piece.
They then place it in the correct spot on the puzzle.
All the students in the group colour in that particular shape on their paper.
Play continues until the puzzle is complete and all the geometric shapes are coloured on the student hand-out.

Children who can NOT yet tell time, CAN learn the order of the numbers and their placement on the clock. It is the first step towards telling time!

These activities are perfect for math centres and they require minimal teacher assistance.

I'm looking forward to testing them out in my JK!!!












You can find these printables {here} or {here}.



No comments:

Post a Comment