Tuesday, October 2, 2012

September Survival


I did it!
I survived September, and so did the 20 "Wonderfuls" in my class!!!

There were a few tears, some cheers, some sharing, some cooperation, some singing, some reading, some routine, and a whole lot of learning.  I started the year off with 3 days of  "staggered start", where I had just small groups of 6 or 7 children.  It was a wonderful way to introduce them to the routines of JK and school as a whole.  


I have 20 children in my class, 12 boys, and 8 girls.  They are a busy, sometimes rowdy bunch, but I am pleased with how much progress has been made in a month.  I have to keep reminding myself that they are only 3 or 4 years old.  They are learning what it means to be a part of a group, how to keep their hands to themselves, and how to cooperate, share and take turns.  They are learning how to line up, sit at circle time, listen to stories without commenting every 5 seconds, take responsibility for their possessions, and how to be a friend.

Most of the activities we did this past month were teacher-directed, (other than their times of free exploration and creative play/centre time.)  We had a lot of fun learning the first few letters in our Jolly Phonics program, we did lots of activities with our Nursery Rhyme theme, and we visited the Fire Hall last week as a conclusion to our focus on Safety.  The kids had a blast trying on the fire-fighter clothes, and checking out all the fire trucks and emergency vehicles.  

I have a wonderful woman who volunteers her time in our JK class every Monday, and this past week an EA was hired to help out for the other two days.  So now there are extra hands, listening ears, and another set of arms for hugs when needed.  I love my helpers....They are a wonderful blessing to both the children and myself.

Until next time, here's a peak:

Town Centre

Thomas the Train Centre

Getting ready for a puppet show

My boys looooove the house centre!

Waffle Blocks






3 comments:

  1. Looks like you're off to a great start! And busy, busy... Miss ya girl! Thanks for posting this glimpse inside your {own} classroom! Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this blog! Great to see those boys getting familiar with kitchen routines, too! It was always fun baking cookies with our boys at home, and I bet they still know the recipe by heart even though they are now in university!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony...I love the fact that these boys get completely into the whole role-playing thing. Feel free to bring me cookies any time...chocolate chip is my fav...

      Delete