Tuesday, September 10, 2013

GTKY Time

We began our GTKY (Getting to Know You) time yesterday, and to kick it off, I thought it might be nice to start with ME!

Last year, I felt rather sorry for the children were were up first for this activity, because each child brings home the pictures that their classmates make of them and let's just say that there were a number that really didn't resemble a person at all.  In light of that experience, I thought that this time around we'd better practice on Mrs. Schenk first and get in a little more extra drawing time before we send home classmate portraits!  :)

(I've adapted and "copied" Anita Bremer's wonderful activity, which you can find explained here.)

It's great fun at the beginning of the year when we're getting to know each other and learn our names.

I explained the activity to the children and they enjoyed cheering my name and learning a little bit about their teacher.
Yes, and I quote....... "42 IS A BIG NUMBER!"


After the interviewing process, the children are given an opportunity to draw our special GTKY person of the day. 
In my class, we use "Mat Man", (from Handwriting Without Tears) to help us learn how to draw people.
If you don't know about him, you can check it out here.



We are still learning the song, but I think it really does help the children think about all the parts involved in drawing a person!

After singing the song and demonstrating how we would draw as we listen to the song, the children went to the tables and got right to work drawing Mrs. Schenk!

I think I'm looking pretty good for 42!







No comments:

Post a Comment