Saturday, September 14, 2013

Organizational Helps

I am all about being organized, so here are a few of my favourite organizational helps that are used on a regular basis.

There are several permanent centres in our JK classroom and most have signs labelling what the centre is. One of the smartest things that I've done in past years (which I have NOT yet done this fall) is to add pictures for the children, so that when it comes time to clean up, they know what each centre should look like.  It really helps the children keep things tidier and organized.......visual aids go a looooong way! 

When we choose centres, I use my centre signs with stick people. Each child has a clothespin with their name on it, and after they choose a centre we put it on the sign and the children know exactly how many students are at or can be at a centre at any given time. (Works like a charm!)

The Centres board is actually a magnetic chalk board (a delicious old green one......yuck) that I covered with paper, so I use my magnetic clips to change/add/remove the signs.


Septembers always seem to be all about learning procedures and routines. Actually, if I'm going to be honest, I feel like a bit of a drill sergeant much longer than just the month of September......practice, practice......

There is something that I use in the classroom to help us when it comes to lining up for all of our in-school travels (to the washroom, library, gym, etc). I made number labels and stuck them to the floor to show where the children need to stand. Every student is assigned a number (their name is there as well). There is never any question about who stands beside whom and they are also spaced out enough so that they don't need to crowd, shove, or push each other.


Each day, a new student is given the "line-leader" job and they are in charge of leading their classmates through the hallway. (The leader stands on the designated "Line Leader" spot). They are expected to set an example of leadership, to demonstrate how to travel with "walking feet" and to keep very quiet so as not to disturb the other classes.

Besides getting the leading role when travelling through the hallways, the line leader is also my special helper during the day and I ask them to do a variety of different things for me. He/she is also given the privilege of occupying the "Circus Tent" during quiet-rest time, library, and silent reading times.


Another helpful tool is my, "What do I do first" visual aid that is hanging on the wall close to our work-tables area.
It's great for kids who are having trouble following directions or remembering the order of things.
The picture labels are interchangeable, with velcro on the back, so that the order can be switched around depending on what activity we might be doing.


The classroom might be organized, but unfortunately my house doesn't organize itself......time to get back to the dreaded Saturday clean up.
Have a blessed weekend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment